Tuesday, April 9, 2013

April 9: Not flowers, but a bunch of blue herons

While I was out walking the dogs today I happened to notice a bunch of blue herons at the top of a tree across the river. Last year the tree had one nest and was regularly visited by 2 or 3 herons -- somehow the word got out and it's a hangout spot today, with several more nests.

I went home to get my telephoto lens, and the instant I put it on automatic focus back in the woods, the birds all flew away. :-b But they were back a few minutes later. 

In addition to these birds there were at least three in an adjacent tree. That makes at least 15 birds! Let's see if they stay there or are simply resting on a trip north.

A dozen blue herons in Shubel Park
At least one is making a new nest...he's gathering sticks.
Blue heron gathering nest material


 

No comments:

Post a Comment