Saturday, April 20, 2013

April 20: Siberian Squill

Today is cold -- 35 degrees Fahrenheit -- and there was a thin layer of snow on the ground this morning. However, this has not stopped the early bloomer, Siberian Squill. I spotted it in the park yesterday and came back to take photos today.

Siberian Squill

This plant is poisonous (it's used in rat poison), but like so many poisons it is also used as a medicine, in this case for the heart. Long ago it was regarded as a flower of witches. This was interesting because as I passed by the flower again on the way back to my car, I noticed a woman and a young boy picking the flowers. Unfortunately, Sammie my bonehead dog barked at them and she complained to me about it with a Russian accent. Let's hope she has good intentions with that flower! :-D

This flower is native to Asia but has spread to the west, probably because it's hardy and blooms early so it is attractive to gardeners. It spreads fast and opinion is divided on its merits, with some people seeing it as invasive and threatening to native plants, and others enjoying its beauty and preferring it to dandelions. It's hard to get rid of though.

No comments:

Post a Comment